Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Leg warmers and neon and spandex, oh my!

So, I mentioned that I threw a "Totally 80's" party this past weekend, right? 

It started off with this invitation that Lover designed. It was girls only, cause, hey, well all need a night away from husbands and kids. 




I made Pac Man cookies. I did see a Pac Man cookie cutter, but who wants to spend $7 on a cookie cutter that I'll never use again? So I just bought a round one for $5 that I know I'll use again, rolled out my dough, cut out the circle, and then used a knife to cut out a wedge for the mouth. The cookie recipe I used was this one, and I used this technique for the icing. It was definitely easier and faster to use this recipe for the icing, but it wasn't as perfect as doing it the other way (with thicker royal icing for the outline, and thinner icing to flood the cookies). But I think it's definitely a technique thing. My last ones were so much prettier than my first ones.



I asked everyone to bring a little something to share. Some brought wine, some brought 2 liters of soda, others brought veggies and fruit platters, others brought chips. My friend Jenny surprised me with the soundtrack to Pretty in Pink. On VINYL. 


I made white sangria. I used one bottle of Sutter Home Sauvignon Blanc, half of a 2 liter of Fresca, and chopped up apples, grapes and strawberries. I made the fruit/wine mixture the night before, and then added the Fresca right before the party. I didn't get to partake in any (ya know, the whole pregnant thang) but I heard it was yummy.  

The two gorgeous ladies in this pic, I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Megan is on the left (and won Best Costume!) and blogs over at Miss Madison's Charmed Life. And Julie (on the right) blogs at It's Sew Stinkin' Cute.


And we did a couple of games. Pin the bow on Ms Pac Man (we went on the honor system, no blindfold to mess up our make up and hair), and a music trivia.



The best part? I set up a photobooth, and Julie brought her nice camera and we took pics. It was even more fun when we figured out how to use the remote. 

We took some goofy pics.... 


And some nice group pics...


Even my dog Titan insisted on photo bombing the pics....

The photobooth was so easy to make. 8 pieces of black poster board (2/$1 at Dollar tree) taped together, with neon paint drizzled all over it. If I had to do it over again, I'd do 3 rows of 4, instead of 2 rows of 4. I had to rebuild the sides in photoshop, which took a while.

It was definitely a lot of fun, and I can't wait to do another theme party. Next party's theme? Tacky Prom!


Photobucket


NightOwlCrafting

7 people love me:

Sam | Away She Went said... [Reply to comment]

Looks like y'all had so much fun! I love the Tacky Prom idea! I want to come! haha!

SkinnyMeg said... [Reply to comment]

You did an awesome job on the party, thanks for hosting!

Tannis said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! I love that party idea! I wish I knew you and lived in your city. Looks like you guys had so much fun!!!

Lesley said... [Reply to comment]

OMG if I were you I would have been singing the Jem song but changed it to Jen!
Jen is truly outrageous! Truly, truly, truly outrageous!

Mindie Hilton said... [Reply to comment]

Oh how fun. I have been to a party like this before. Love the pics you shared. I still rock the leg warmers some days but I live in chilly northern cali. Please stop by and link up at my weekly fri-monday Anything goes linky party.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

Vicky @ Mess For Less said... [Reply to comment]

What a fun idea!I think anyone who grew up in the 80's would enjoy this. I am a new follower visiting from Kara's Creations. Vicky from Mess For Less

Krafty-K said... [Reply to comment]

So cool! I am planning an 80's themed party for my BFF's 40th. How much would you charge to use the same invite but ya'll add her info on it? Kristin@kristinmoran.com THanks!