Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What's up, gorgeous stenciled wall?
How you doing?

So, I've hinted once or twice about how we painted our bedroom over Christmas break. I finally took crappy pics this morning. For some reason, I can't get a good pic of it to save my life. Either the pics turned out yellow, or grainy, I dunno. 

I used the large Rabat stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils. I won a giveaway over at Bella Before and After, and spent my prize credit on this stencil. 

The first step was to paint the wall white, so the negative space of the stencil would be white, and not ugly builders beige. It's not the best "before" pic, I forgot to take a true one, but you can see the white paint and the original paint color. I made sure to get flat paint for the base white color, the paint guy at Home Depot said that you always want the bottom color to be a flat paint. I didn't know that. But it was the cheapest sheen, so woot!




And then it was time to get started (after letting the paint dry for a day). Lover painted the rest of the room (ceiling included) and I tackled the wall. I started at the top, in about the center of the wall. The stencil was really easy to use, I used a lot of painters tape on the edges and between the openings, and just worked my way down the wall. I had to "cheat" every few movements down the wall, since it wouldn't line up exactly. But it said on the Cutting Edge site that it's totally fine to cheat it, just make sure your stencil is level. I also got the clip on stencil level, and truly highly recommend it. 


I'm pretty sure it's required to look like crap when you're doing home improvements. And a black bra under a white shirt makes you uber cool. And a little FYI, if you wear super baggy pants when you're climbing up and down a ladder, be prepared to step on them and accidentally moon your husband once. Or 4 times, whatever. 


In the beginning, I just worked in rows. But then I'd run into the problem of the paint being wet while I moved onto the next one. So eventually I just bounced around, making sure it was lined up and level each time.


And voila!



The color we used was "Silver Drop" by Behr. I didn't want a gray that was blueish or yellowish. This is just a pretty, medium gray. I was worried that an all gray room would feel cold or institutional, but it's lovely and inviting. 

Thanks Cutting Edge for making a super awesome product! I'd love to try out some of their other stencils, they make such a huge impact. 4 days worth of work for an eye catching accent wall? Score. 

Photobucket


Photobucket" />

18 people love me:

Janice said... [Reply to comment]

Absolutely gorgeous, Jen. I LOVE IT.

Lesley said... [Reply to comment]

I mean...durr...of course I love everything you do.
You and I have very similar color palettes going on in our lil brains, me thinks.
I was going to go for blues and silvers but then I found this red and gold duvet cover that I fell in love with. Now I'm struggling for what color to paint my walls.
This is your mission now...to figure out what color to paint Lesley's bedroom walls.

Me aside...you did a fantastic job and I'm sure that you're really satisfied with it!

Michell @ Girl In Air said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful! I know exactly how much work that is.....so great job!

Sam | Away She Went said... [Reply to comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam | Away She Went said... [Reply to comment]

It looks amazing! I want to stencil my entry way, but I'm too cheap to buy a stencil. So I'm holding out for when I win won...which will be never with my luck. Haha! Anyway, LOVE your new stenciled wall and I love the owl lamps with the wall!

Pam said... [Reply to comment]

Looks fantastic...but wow, what a lot of work!

Cora said... [Reply to comment]

That looks awesome!!! I only wish I could be that talented!! :-)

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful! Definitely worth the work to have a nice inviting bedroom. Only problem, getting out of bed is hard as it is... what will do you do when the bedroom is gorgeous to boot! :D

I would have worried about the grey being too cold as well, but this is definitely inviting and beautiful. A soft feminine side with a masculine color... very perfect for the master bedroom!

Kris @ everywhereorange.com said... [Reply to comment]

That looks beautiful!!! great job!!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said... [Reply to comment]

so pretty!!

SkinnyMeg said... [Reply to comment]

It looks amazing, I love your color choice and the stencil! Plus you still look hot in your painting clothes, b*tch :) Love ya!

Rosemary@villabarnes said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Jennifer! I LUV the way your wall turned out. Stunning. Thanks for visiting my blog, and following. I'm following you back. Love your ideas.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Wow!!! That looks amazing! I am so impressed. I especially love the color you chose. Thanks for linking up!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said... [Reply to comment]

WOW--this turned out amazing!! The color is perfect, and I love the Cutting Edge stencil. What a nice makeover! Thanks for sharing at Oopsey Daisy!

LP aka A Crafty Southern Chick said... [Reply to comment]

I wish I had something more original than 'gorgeous' to say--but it is!! I would love to do something like that in our house, but I am completely lacking in the patience department. Go you!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Hey Jen,
I featured ya on my site today! http://youseriouslymadethat.blogspot.com/2012/01/you-made-it-link-party-2.html

Hope your day is awesome!
Cami

Jamie said... [Reply to comment]

It looks awesome! And I've totally ladder-mooned my husband before!!! :) I'm just glad I have a word for it now

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

OMG! Fantastic stenciling job you did... Came out PERFECT!

Thinking of painting my entire house Silver Drop, how do you like the color? Do you see more gray or beige.

FYI - you inspired me to stencil... thanks...