Sunday, August 21, 2011

Highs and Lows, 2 weeks worth

So, this week's highs and lows will be longer than normal. I didn't do an official one last week, since my kid decided to try and die and all.



Life, Crafts and Whatever




I normally do highs first, and then lows. But a couple of people that link up do their lows first so they can end on the highs. I dig that idea, so I'm totally going to jack it.

Lows

  • You know, the whole Ava almost dying thing. I joke about it because it's how I deal with stress. Not that I take any of it lightly, it's just a sanity, self preservation thing. 
  • You know that 6 days we stayed in the hospital with Ava? Apparently there was a bottle in my purse (that I use as a diaper bag) and it leaked. I didn't realize it until I was at Old Navy on Friday with my bestie Candace, and I couldn't get away from the smell of spoiled milk. Umm, yeah, that was totally emanating from my purse. Jessica Simpson awesome pink purse? Ruined. Febreeze is useless. And yeah, those Febreeze commercials where they show the people sitting in a old, flooded junky house, and they can't smell anything bad? Apparently there isn't spoiled milk there in those old houses, cause I can't get rid of the smell. 
  • The thought of another large hospital bill makes the back of my throat close up. We're still paying off the bill from Ava's RSV hospital stay from a few months ago. And that one was just 3 days and no surgeries and 6 billion xrays. And with our pathetic excuse for insurance, it just makes my head hurt. But, it's only money, right?  

Highs
  • Ava didn't die. Biggest. High. EVER. The emergency surgery was a success, and she's pooping like there is no tomorrow. She's finally back to eating normally, smiling, etc. 
  • Had a little surprise birthday party for my father in law. Originally planned on doing it the day after Ava's party, and I had a few things planned, but with Ava's hospital stay, we had to move it to the hospital. But he was surprised, and from what I can tell, loved the pillow I made for him. 

 




I have been absolutely obsessed with these shoes since I first saw them a few months back. I found them for $24 with free shipping. Score.








I found a show that I am utterly, completely, head over heels OBSESSED with. It's a UK show called Misfits. It's about a group of kids on community service who get struck by lightening and have super powers. There are two seasons out now, most of which you can watch on Hulu. Season 3 doesn't come out until November, eek. Warning: lots of cursing and sex, but the epic awesomeness cancels those out. I want to find someone who can screenprint or something, I have to have that picture on a shirt. Like, now. 


  • Kinda goes along with the whole Ava not dying thing. But sometimes it takes something huge to remind you how blessed you are with the friends you surround yourself with. Our friends were INVALUABLE. My girlfriends Candace and Christy watched my older girls so Jake and I could be at the hospital together. Julie drove over to Dallas (twice!) to keep me company and bring my girls Happy Meals and coloring books. Other friends brought foods to keep us awake, like Cherry Coke, Dr Pepper, chocolate, homemade cupcakes, energy drinks. Seriously, it made a horrible situation just a little bit easier.  

  •  I scored some awesome earrings at Old Navy for $2 a piece. Booyah. I love long dangly earrings, especially with my hair being short.
  















Speaking of short hair, I'm going to go shorter. I love her hair. I just stinkin' got mine cut, and it's already too long to spike, so it's bordering on "mom" hair. I've been cursed blessed with hair that grows super fast, so having short hair is always a challenge. But it's just hair, and I figure, I may not have short hair again, might as well have fun with it while I'm still young enough to pull it off.


  • Got the pic back from a shoot that I had a month or so ago. I wasn't sure I liked the proofs (first shoot with short hair and I wasn't confident in it yet) but I freaking LOVE the final, edited pic that the photographer sent me. Those of you on my personal page friends list know what I'm talking about. 
 
  • Ava's party had to be rescheduled (she was actually having surgery on the day that she was supposed to have her party) so now it's on the 3rd. We're doing a photobooth, hubby designed an awesome background for it. But the printer went down and it wasn't going to be fixed until the Monday after her party. So I was going to have to go with my backup plan and get some fabric. Since her party got rescheduled, we'll be able to use the one he designed. 
 
  • This one is a mixed high and low, soon to be high again. My mom said that I could pick out a purse as an early Christmas gift since mine is possibly ruined. So we went to Macy's, and I found an adorable Nine West purse for just under a bill. The lady checking out ahead of us had a 20% off coupon, and my mom, Ms Thrifty herself, asked her if we could use it too, and the lady gave us an extra one that she had. So the purse came out to $78. Score. I love it. Came home to do this post and add a pic, and found the exact same purse on the Nine West website for $35, AND I found a coupon for free shipping. So I will be returning the one she bought me today, and ordering the cheaper one. So high, turned low, turned high when it arrives.

  • I went up to Kohl's yesterday to find some shorts for my 8 year old (had no luck since all the shorts I found were prosti-tot length.) But on the way up there, my mom called me and said to go spend $50 on each girl on school clothes from her. The girls were able to get some cute stuff, I let them pick out clothes that cost more than I'd normally spend on each piece. But I figure, I already did most of their clothes shopping, so this was an added bonus. I spent $100.58 and got $20 in Kohls cash back. Woot. 




I won a $100 gift card to Target over at DIY showoff. So those $40 owl lamps that I've been eyeing for my bedroom? Oh yes, you will be mine.















Photobucket

13 people love me:

LyndaKay said... [Reply to comment]

Enjoyed reading your highs and lows and so glad you can find humor during the down times. Glad to hear the little one is doing so much better. Love the owl lamp.

Samantha {Moody Mama} said... [Reply to comment]

I love the owl lamps. I'm glad your little one is doing better!

Did you try baking soda & charcoal in a paper bag in the purse? (Baking soda for smell; charcoal for the moisture from it)

Rachel said... [Reply to comment]

Your "prosti-tot" comment was the highlight of my day! LOL. Well, not really the highlight of my whole day, but it was pretty funny. :)

Delaney said... [Reply to comment]

Loving all the pros! Life is good.

Laurie in SC said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! Your life HAS been roller-coasterish lately fo sho. So glad Ava is home and things are looking up! The Misfits show sounds great - I'll have to look for that myself. Take care and thanks for sharing :)
Love
Laurie at Scene of Sublime
http://sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com

Stephanie said... [Reply to comment]

So glad Ava is doing so well. I can't imagine what it would be like.

Also MISFITS! LOVE! I actually found it in the middle of the first series and it is awesome. Nathan cracks me up every time he opens his mouth. Just writing this makes me want to go do a rewatch.

A Daft Scots Lass said... [Reply to comment]

Where can I get those shoes?

SkinnyMeg said... [Reply to comment]

Hospital bills are so freaking out of control it's scary! No one can afford to get sick, I feel your pain :( So happy Ava is back to her super awesome self! Love the owl lamps, darling!! Can. NOt. wait. to see your shorter hair, I TOTALLY and digging that pic!

Janice said... [Reply to comment]

that prosti-tot made me laugh out loud!

Now that Ava's safe and sound, everything else sounds like it's going well. I feel your pain over the spoiled milk. Worst. Smell. Ever. One got lost under the seat of my car last spring. How does that stench sink into fabric so permanently?!?!?!

Lesley said... [Reply to comment]

I think this is the funniest post you've ever written.
See, in Canada you get get hurt all you want and it's free. I take advantage by throwing myself down the stairs on a regular basis just to enjoy the free hospital room. Nothin wrong with a little peace and quiet, right?

-Lidy said... [Reply to comment]

So glad that Ava is all better. Humor is a good way to deal with stress. That's what my son and I did when he had appointments with his Oncologist or Surgeon...we'd make jokes all the time. One time the surgeon gave us funny looks and I told him the only way to deal with cancer was with humor. It was laugh or cry and I prefer laughing.

The shoes are awesome! And I totally LOVE the haircut. :)

Cat Hunter said... [Reply to comment]

I'm glad to hear that she is ok. Keep with the positive. And those shoes are amazing!!!! Where did you find those? And I can't wait to see your hair too!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

That lamp is fabulous!!! I want one.