Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Statement Necklace, an untutorial

I'm an Etsy-addict. It probably doesn't help that I can't afford half of what I have on my favorites on there. 







Like this. Stunning, right? But I certainly don't have the $160 that she's asking. So it was time to get crafting.












I wasn't able to find red flat stones at any of the bead stores around me, so I found this on Etsy. I had the best luck searching for "flat nugget stone" under the supplies section. These cost me $15 shipped.









I then hit up Hobby Lobby for the rest of the supplies. Thick and thin chain, jump rings, and TAN felt. The pic shows red, but I figured out why she uses tan instead of red after I made the first one. The red would show up against your skin, the tan blends in.







Next, I hot glued them on TAN felt, and cut them out. Don't cut too close, since you'll need something to glue the beads onto, and you can trim it later.








Next, I took some fishing line, threaded it through the hole, and tied it in a knot. Then started threading on the beads, adding a drop of hot glue every 4 or 5, and making sure to keep the beads very close to the stone. I added the hot glue along the edge, so it touched both the stone and the felt.



Now, this is where I started to wing it. At first, I just did the beads all the way around, and then attached the chains with a needle and thread. But with the hot glue, I had a hard time getting the needle to go through. So I figured out where I wanted the chains, made a pen mark, and when I would come across one of those, I would string on the chain and it cut it to size.




Then when I would get to the other side, I would attach the other end. Make sense?









I ended up doing all of the stones, and then laid them out and figured out the ones I wanted to use in my final piece. My stones are a lot bigger than the reference pic, so I just used four. I was feeling an asymmetrical look, so that's what I went with. I attached the stones to each other with jump rings (I used three on each stone so it wouldn't be too flimsy) and then attached a chain to the top so I could wear it.

It's huge, but isn't that what a statement necklace is about?


Photobucket


18 people love me:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

beautiful Jen!! love chunky jewelry :)
but you cheated: you made this before your new hot mama haircut!!! :D

Amanda said... [Reply to comment]

Crazy amazing!

Lesley said... [Reply to comment]

Oh I love it! Way to go!!

the cape on the corner said... [Reply to comment]

that is awesome. i literally "whoa"ed out loud. i can never figure out what to wear with a statement necklace...i know what to wear, but i just end up looking top heavy. ugh!

You, Enhanced said... [Reply to comment]

I love this necklace!! HUGE is what its all about! I think I shall go shopping now on Etsy :)

Jenny C said... [Reply to comment]

Amazing, I never would have attempted it.

Nicole said... [Reply to comment]

amazing!!! i wouldn't even know were to begin to try and re create something like that, its super cute!!

MichaelaM said... [Reply to comment]

Very cool, Jen! Have you ever shopped at the bead shop in town? I wonder if they have a good deals also? Love it!

Erin W said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my dear! Love this!!! Great job!!!!!!!!! I'll expect mine in the mail soon :) lol

Sylvie Créative - Créations Ma Déco Maison said... [Reply to comment]

Love the idea! Really cute! Thanks

ArtfullyJune said... [Reply to comment]

Great piece. I love a good statement necklace and it's even better when it is thrifty but looks like its expensive.

Coley said... [Reply to comment]

Ths is awesome! I love how big it is and the fact that you made it soo much cheaper. Thanks for sharing!

Tasha Anderson said... [Reply to comment]

Visiting from Finding Fab. Rachel Zoe says a large statement piece is vital! I always wear large chunky jewelry! You did a fantastic job. I'm pinning it!
Stop by and say hi!
XOXO,
Tasha
www.frugaliciousme.com

Catherine @ Cat on a Limb said... [Reply to comment]

Love it! (More than the original, actually) Well done!

LP aka A Crafty Southern Chick said... [Reply to comment]

WOW. That doesn't seem to quite convey what I think (which is, uh, WOW) but it's all I got. That turned out ahhhh-mazing.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

That is one AWESOME necklace!! I have to make one! I'd love for you to link up at my Tuesday Tutorials Link Party! :)

http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2011/08/tuesday-tutorials-link-party-1.html?m=1

CutiiPromoRO said... [Reply to comment]

So cute and fancy! I like it.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Great tutorial.i like it very much, thanks for sharing