Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Home Goals for 2011

I saw a post on Chic On A Shoestring called Home Goals, and it inspired me to do a post too. Maybe by writing it all down, it'll motivate me to get it done. Possibly. Hopefully.

Goal Numero Uno

I think my first goal is to get the girls/guest bathroom done. I've done absolutely nothing with that bathroom, besides hang up a shower curtain. It's pretty blah, and you'll usually find water and toothpaste all over the mirror no matter how often I clean it (I have no idea how a 5 and 7 year old can get water spots all the way to the top of the mirror.) I admit, I rarely go in there, so it fell off my home decorating radar.

My one futile attempt at decorating this bathroom

Isn't it great how children magically appear in pics when you're taking them?
So the goals in there. Paint the wall, obviously. Thinking like a light aqua beachy color. Or a very light gray. I saw a decal on Etsy that I fell in love with (the seller is on vacation so I can't post a link) but it's tree branches with bird silhouettes. I want to do the branches in a gray with the bird in a bright pink color. The branch will start just to the left of the shower/toilet room door, and will stop at the door trim piece, and then I'll continue it around the other side of the door. And this shower curtain. I found the bird cage candle holder at my favorite thrift store for $3, and I picked up a bird at Hobby Lobby that will go next to it. I don't have much counter space, so I think that'll be enough. I told hubsters that I wanted the decal, shower curtain, and the bathroom painted for my Valentine's Day present. Isn't that romantic? :)

Goal Number 2

Next up is my bedroom.


I LOVE these mirrors, but hubby doesn't care for them.

Yay for a mom who was a seamstress for 20+ years, she made all the drapes in our house.
First, I need to paint the nightstand that's been sitting in my living room for the past week. I found it on Craigslist for $25, which is more than I like to spend on CL finds, but it matched hubby's nightstand almost exactly, just a bit smaller. We didn't have room in our old apartment for two nightstands when we bought the bedroom set, so we just bought one. So for a while, I was using a jewelry armoire. Then I found the glass nightstand you see in the picture at a thrift store for $8. I bought it, even though I wasn't in love with it because it was the right height. Note to self, don't buy things you're not in love with, just because you're impatient. So that's first on my list. Next, I'm saving up my Swagbucks to buy this comforter on Amazon...


I love our comforter now, but we've had it for the past 3 years, and I'm ready for something new. I showed hubby the upholstered headboard with nailhead trim on Centsational Girl and he loved it too, so that's on our To-Do list. My mom made a headboard just like it a number of years ago, just without the nailhead trim. Our bedroom is a good size (13x17 with 12 foot ceilings) so I'm thinking a oversized headboard, to take up some room on the wall. And lastly, I want a light gray paint on the wall, instead of the normal neutral cream color. I have a hard time knowing what to do with the walls, since they are soooooo tall.

Goal Number Three

I hesitate to post these next pictures, since I fought every urge I had to stage this area before taking the pic. But, if you are to understand why an area irritates me so much, you might as well see it in all of it's glory.



So, this area is called the "planning area". This area connects the kitchen (where I'm standing) and hubby's office. The door to the right in the second pic is the laundry room door. In the first picture, the little arched window you see faces the entryway. This area usually catches anything that we need a flat surface to put it on. And you'll usually find dog food all over the floor (why a dog needs to pull out every stinkin' piece of food and place it on the floor is beyond me). The girls backpacks, Awana bags and vests, art supplies and random crap stuff all ends up in here. And as much as I try to keep this area clean, it just doesn't happen. A kid tornado will come through and destroy it again.

So my plans for the planning area? I want to paint the walls a light tan color, like the color in my living room. And I want to do beadboard and a chair rail, with hooks for the girls bags. And enforce the "if you get it out, put it away" rule. And have a talk with the dog about not being a weirdo when he eats his food. Think he'll listen?

What are your home goals for 2011?

Photobucket

6 people love me:

SkinnyMeg said... [Reply to comment]

Those are some great goals, I'm totally going to bug you until you finish them :) I've never heard of a planning area, but we have 'crap piles' around the house too, I usually just shove them in a drawer! I DESPERATELY want a tufted head board, but I BEGGED oliver to buy my very expensive bed years ago and now I feel like I'm stuck with it....for now :) It is funny how kids appear when your trying to take pics, I have MANY ruined shots with M throwing a fit on the floor because she wants the camera. haha! And HOW can J not like the mirrors, they are FABULOUS!!

Life, Crafts and Whatever said... [Reply to comment]

@Megan, that's why I hate expensive furniture, you feel like you're stuck with it forever. I've decided I hate our coffee/end/sofa tables, but J says that we paid all that money for them not even a year ago. But, I figure, if I'm home all day, I might as well enjoy the surroundings, right? And I <3 my mirror wall, and I'd have more up there if I could, but he's not big on mirrors.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Good luck with all your projects for 2011! I know they will look great when they are done and can't wait to see them.

jandjhome said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like you will be busy. I just posted about centsational girls headboard yesterday. I already bought my fabric. I'll let you know how that goes. Good luck with your list.

Brooke @ Finding Home said... [Reply to comment]

Ummmmm you can send those mirror's my way! ;-) I love them!!!

Erin W said... [Reply to comment]

Girl... my list is very similiar. Moving into new house, I have every room on my to-do list. :)

As for your master room, I think that you should put up chair railing. It divides the space, it's cheap and you can use two different colors if you want. Here is a link to my old master.
http://www.everbrooke.com/2010/07/tour-of-my-master-bedroom.html